How Do Stones and Crystals Heal Us?

How Do Stones and Crystals Heal Us?

Stones and crystals carry the energy of our ancestors’ footsteps, the magic of cosmic formation, the deepest medicine from our Earth.

For many, the idea of using crystals and stones as a form of healing may seem perfectly normal, but for others it may seem a bit strange or esoteric. The truth is that stones and crystals have been used in healing treatments by cultures all over our planet for thousands of years. The reasons for this are simple, but multifaceted (pun intended!).

We have a lot in common with our stone and crystal friends. Stones and crystals are made from the stardust of creation—so are we. They are composed of the atomic and mineral building blocks that form our planet, solar system, universe—and us.

But what sets stones and crystals apart from us is their “cellular” structure, so to speak. They are highly organized and harmonious in their structures, right down to the atomic level. When you look at, say, a simple quartz crystal, you see immediately geometric patterns that form highly ordered matrices. When you pick up a stone and feel its weight, you can perceive the density of material that resides within.

These highly ordered structures, combined with their density and age, make stones living creatures with extremely high-level and vibrational qualities.

They are the ultimate vehicles for energy medicine: the past, present and future for all healing on this planet.

We use crystals in our technology to store information (computer chips) or to focus energy (lasers).

And we use references to crystals and stones in our everyday language, often without even thinking about the deep meaning behind the phrases:

• You are crystal clear when you are perfectly understood.
• We say we feel grounded when we are talking about a feeling of being comfortable and present.
Solid as a rock is common in our parlance.
• We refer to the color of crystals, saying things like “her cheeks are ruby red.”
• When we return home to a place to which we feel deeply connected, we might say I wanted to kneel and kiss the ground.

Stones are instinctively and profoundly sacred to us.

All of these common references to the “rocks” we share our planet with give us some insight into the healing capabilities of stones and crystals.

Crystals and stones can be used in healing to:

• Bring clarity to the causes and conditions of our illness and illuminate pathways to healing.
• Help us feel safe, grounded, loved, and held by the earth and unconditionally loving energies.
• Give us something to stand on…something that is ancient, stable and has lasted through time.
• Bring the healing power of color and their associations to our organ systems and energy centers as described by ancient Taoist, Vedic and other traditions.
• Connect us to our Personal Divine and to all manifestations of the divine and sacred in our lives.

Crystals and rocks focus and harmonize our energy so that we can achieve optimum physical, emotional and spiritual wellness.

You can begin to benefit from the healing power of stones and crystals right now.

Try one (or both!) of these simple exercises.

1) Step outside. Lie down on the ground. Breathe.

Just the simple act of making contact with the earth is harmonizing and healing. Children do this instinctively all the time—rolling in the grass, playing in the dirt, lying down on a warm hillside and looking at the sky. When was the last time that you did this? We take something away from ourselves that is so essential when we give up this gentle union with our mother the earth.

As you lie on the ground, tune into the subtle energies beneath you. What parts of your body are affected? What is the quality of your mind? As you deepen your breath, soften your heart to receive more of this earth energy that is made from layer upon ancient layer of crystals and stones.

How is your heart affected by these crystalline beings? Begin to ask them questions: What do you have to offer me? How can I honor and become more connected to you? What is the magick we can do together?

2) Go on a walk somewhere in nature.

It could be your very own garden, a park, a great forest. As you walk, tune into the feel of the ground beneath your feet. How does each footfall bring you in contact with Mother Earth? How do you land upon her, how does she receive you?

Breathe deeply as you walk slowly, and allow your gaze to relax and widen. Keep a soft focus and pan your eyes along the ground around you. At some point in this journey a stone will “wink “ at you. It will stand out in some way; maybe with a bit of sun glinting off of it, maybe because of its color or size. Something about it will call out to you and capture your awareness.

Go to that stone. Pick it up and hold it in your left hand. Bring your attention to that hand and tune into the energy the stone is moving into you. If you are already very sensitive to subtle energies, this may be a familiar experience for you and you may be able to feel very specific things about the energy of your stone. If this is a new practice for you, simply pay attention.

Don’t worry about whether or not you are “feeling the right thing” or “getting it.” Trust me, you are. And with time your sensitivity and the amount of information you get from the stone will grow.

The energy of stones and crystals might manifest in your perception through sensation, impressions of color, images and feelings in the energy centers of your body (for example, a feeling in your heart, or in your pelvic region). Even in your first encounters, you may get a clear message such as words in your mind, telling you something you need to know.

Take your time experiencing the stones and crystals (and remember to breathe as you connect with the world around you and with your own heart). Share with us in the comments what you discover!

Teal

Teal Chimblo Fyrberg, Wild Teal, is a creatrix, yoga teacher, stone and crystal healer, farmer, artist and writer.  Join her for online classes and in-person workshops and retreats at http://www.wildteal.com and experience her alchemical plant and stone medicines at http://www.obsidianbutterflyelixirs.com.

22 Comments
  1. Profile photo of EmilySarah
    EmilySarah 3 months ago

So intriguing. I’m coming back to this again…re-reading!

2. Profile photo of Chris
    Chris 3 months ago

I received a pair of opal earrings as a gift. The first time I wore them I discovered that at the end of the day I was feeling a “little off”. Once I took the earrings off I started to feel better. Has anyone else had any issues with opals?

• Profile photo of
      Claudia 1 month ago

No problems with opal. They are my birthstone. I have always loved good opals.

3. Profile photo of Natalie Poulson
    Natalie Poulson 3 months ago

Ash Sierra – I love that you included suggestions for herbs and crystals to work with during this moon. So helpful! More of this please!

4. Profile photo of karyn
    karyn 5 months ago

Our Spirits are saying: “It’s winter! You need to slow down, not speed up! Since you refuse to hear me, I’m gonna make you slow down!” (And then, we get the flu!)

Slow down.

Nest.

Go inward. And enjoy the season.

YES!! Thank you, I needed to read this today. Things for my husband and I are really crazy in the fall, and now that we may slow back down for a few months, I need to remember that it is OK to just nest.

5. Profile photo of Jenna
    Jenna 6 months ago

Remembering Me…. that is so similar to my story. That is exactly what I am trying to do right now. Remembering who I am, and finding her, taking back her knowledge, spirit, power and joy. It feels so goooood, it is like coming home after a very long, and bad trip and finding your very best friend waiting for you by a cozy fire, with a cupcake and a glass of wine! I am so happy that I found myself again before I lost her completely! And I am grateful for being here with all these amazing like-minded women and hearing their stories. It is inspiring me and lifting me up out of the dark place I have been and back into the light. Thank you!

6. Profile photo of Jenna
    Jenna 6 months ago

Wow.. The poem, There Is A Woman, is so beautiful and spoke directly to my soul. I am going to give it a place of honor in my B.O.S. Thank you for sharing it. It made my day!

• Profile photo of karyn
      karyn 5 months ago

I love the idea of adding to my BOS. I’m going to steal that and go back to it often.

7. Profile photo of Jenna
    Jenna 6 months ago

I find myself working on cleaning out everything that I can find that is unnecessary, like I have been loaded down for too long and I just need to lighten the load, lol. I started at Witch Camp last week getting back into the routing of cleansing, and apparently it has carried over across the board! Also, my usual things that I do at this time are preparing the farm for winter, stocking up on feed and supplies for our animals, snugging up our bees, making sure everything is in good order as the weather tends to get rough. And also, preparing all my herbal remedies that will get us (and the animals) through the cold and flu season /winter, and stocking up my apothecary and pantries. It’s not exciting, but I like it because I know I am providing for and taking care of my family.

8. Profile photo of Susan
    Susan 6 months ago

I did not know that when I set out on my journey to wellness that it would involve a deep and painful look at my religion. So many mindsets that needed changing. It has been scary to leave the comfort of the religion that I did love, but now find empty. There have been a lot of tears shed, but now that I am mostly on the other side of the transition I feel peace. And I have been finding the wellness I was searching for.

9. Profile photo of emely_h
    emely_h 6 months ago

For me, it is a morphing spiritual existence. I grew up Catholic and then eventually was born-again at age 14 into a baptist church. It’s been years since I have stepped into a church for the sole purpose of worship. I do not regret my past spiritual journey because it has shaped my beliefs in a different way. These days I tend to be more spiritual, tuned into my intuition, or whatever feels right. I welcome new ideas and perspectives. Life humbles the individual a lot of times, but it is up to us to go inward and find our true path.

Thank you for this food for thought tonight <3

10. Profile photo of Sharon
    Sharon 6 months ago

“Losing Religion, Finding Soul” = me personified (Hugs)

11. Profile photo of Rhiannon
    Rhiannon 6 months ago

Something about the fire cider really brings me into the season 🙂

12. Profile photo of Amy
    Amy 6 months ago

Lovely.

13. Profile photo of
    Janna 6 months ago

Fall has always been my favorite time of year, but this time around I am really experiencing the cycle shifting through my body, understanding it and working with the energy. Thanks for all these tips! I have been loving a new rose-water spritz and am making elederberry syrup as we speak.

• Profile photo of emely_h
      emely_h 6 months ago

Hi Janna,

I have never felt the cycle shift so personally until now! What a wonderful experience to really pay attention and trust the transition.

Em

14. Profile photo of Sarah Branstetter
    Sarah Branstetter 6 months ago

I start my elderberry syrup when my children start school. I slow down and notice the change in the light, the animals/birds and the trees.

15. Profile photo of Sarah Branstetter
    Sarah Branstetter 6 months ago

Thank you! Beautiful!

16. Profile photo of Cheryl
    Cheryl 6 months ago

Beautiful Mary Lou!

17. Profile photo of Regina
    Regina 7 months ago

This poem makes me feel like the woman at the edge of the forest, very magical! Thank you for sharing Mary Lou

18. Profile photo of Kimberly
    Kimberly 7 months ago

Mary Lou this is a lovely poem!! Thanks for sharing it!
    Kim